March 19, 2012

Respects where they're due.


As is no such thing a surprise, I'm sure, that mine is a perpetual state of taking to a living based entirely beneath some small stone; I must bring it forward to those of you who may care, or simply did not know: Jean Giraud, or "Moebius", has recently passed away.

Like most that are familiar with him, I too came to love his illustrated imaginative works and worlds through Heavy Metal magazine. Though I wouldn't say I've tried mimicking his visual style, his art has had a great impact on my life, and often was even a great inspiration to me. He truly is a master among men, and every iota of his universes, worlds and even every stroke of his pen held a vivacity few could match. Our world is truly lessened at his passing.

My good-byes aren't much when all is said and done, but perhaps some of you will come to know what gifts the man has given us if they were originally lost to you.

Good morning,
Joshua.
(prod to expand)

3 comments:

  1. Shit! What is it of late, we're losing a load of great, talented people?

    I love the first image you have, and the ones of the flying beasties and riders. Was he part of the Gibly Studio bunch? His style certainly looks like it belongs there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, he was for a while at some point. Here, I'll add another one of his at the bottom that might tickle your fancy.

      Delete
  2. Hey.

    Thanks for the follow. Much appreciated. I was gutted to hear about Jean Giraud too. A big fave of mine when it comes to comics that aren't made any more is the Love and Rockets series by the Hernandez brothers. For me, it doesn't get better than that.

    Cheers,

    W.

    ReplyDelete